In 2010 I took Art Deco as the inspiration for my journal quilts.
This quilt was inspired by some black and white Art Deco designs which I found on the internet. The black checks were printed onto white cotton fabric with acrylic paint and the black cotton leaves were bonded in place before machine quilting.
The inspiration for this quilt was an Art Deco building.
I used funky foam to make a print block and printed the image onto thin paper using acrylic paint. I bonded the paper to cotton fabric. It was then machine quilted and embellished with hand stitching.
The same building was used in this quilt. The circular motif is a print block inspired by the design on the front of an old radio.
Having printed the design onto paper, I scanned it into the computer and manipulated it using Paint shop pro. The finished design was printed onto two layers of lutradur which had been treated with Ink Aid. The piece was then machine and hand quilted.
Once again I used Art Deco architecture as inspiration.
I had been using the motif to experiment with batik. I scanned the resulting fabric into the computer and using Paint shop pro, I lifted the wax image and changed its colour and size to produce this design. I then printed it onto cotton fabric which had been treated with ‘Bubble Jet Set’. The piece was then machine quilted.
For this JQ I returned to Erte for inspiration. The spiral pattern comes from one of his fabric designs. The background is randomly pieced and machine quilted. The spirals are cut-back appliqué.
This is a reverse appliqué piece, inspired by the design on an Art Deco style powder compact. The main fabric is the result of a batik session with Judy. The motifs were also inspired by Art Deco architecture.
Here again I used fabric from our batik session, but this time using the computer, I scanned the batik fabric, and in Paint Shop Pro, altered and added some colours. The design was then printed onto prepared cotton fabric, machine quilted and embellished with buttons.